Fur Coat Care Tips
Below are fur coat care tips for your new fur coat or jacket.
1. Always store your fur garments in cold storage when you are done wearing them for the season or not using them. Kluger Furs is equipped with temperature, humidity, and light-controlled storage facilities to protect your fur, keeping it from drying out, oxidizing and prematurely aging your garment.
2. Have your fur cleaned annually by Kluger Furs expert vault staff headed by Mr. Alex Pierre. To preserve the integrity and the beauty of your fur, cleaning is imperative. The cleaning process removes dirt and oils, conditions the garment, and keeps the skins soft and supple.
3. Small rips or tears need attention immediately. This will prevent more expensive repairs later.
4. Never hang your fur in plastic bags of any type. They prevent air from circulating, which can dry out the leather and cause tearing. Always use a broad-shouldered hanger.
5. Be sure your fur is not exposed to light, which will cause oxidation (fading). It must have room to breath and should not be crushed by other items in the closet.
6. Do not store your fur in a cedar closet or use mothballs. These absorb moisture, which can dry your fur out. Not to mention, the odor can remain indefinitely. In addition, cedar closets do not protect from insect damage, dust and dirt.
7. Avoid spraying perfume, hairspray or other chemicals on your fur. The alcohol content in these products will dry the leather and stiffen the guard hairs.
8. If your fur gets wet, don’t worry. Simply shake it out and hang it to dry in a well-ventilated room. Avoid direct heat or radiators, which can damage both fur and leather. If your fur is soaked through bring it immediately to Kluger Furs to prevent shrinkage when it dries.
9. Furs don’t like friction. If possible, do not use a shoulder bag or slide across a seat. This can wear the hairs off resulting in a bald spot. To protect your fur collar from makeup and oil, which can cause matting, consider wearing a scarf around your neck.
10. Fur coat insurance will give you peace of mind in the event of fire, damage or theft. Kluger Furs can provide you with a fur appraisal so your insurance agent can place a separate rider under your homeowner’s policy. This written appraisal is for replacement value in the event your fur is damaged, stolen or lost.